Thread Rating:
  • 358 Votes - 2.83 Average
Another template not matching
08-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Another template not matching
Hey everyone,

Well, here's yet another project I'm undertaking. I'm trying to convert a template I purchased via Thermostate to MODx, and I seem to be running into a few difficulties, to wit:

Template: http://themeforest.net/item/clean-hostin...iew/465241

My version: http://ironchip.com/hosts

Something's off, and I can't figure out what. Please Help!

Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2011, 03:32 AM
RE: Another template not matching
Wow, just looked above and don't know how i got Thermostate out of Themeforest, well the link is correct though Smile

08-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Yeah I was wondering about the Thermostate... lol.

In this case it appears that your background images which are specified in the CSS are not being seen. Have you kept the relative relationships of the CSS files and the image folders the same as in the original?

Find all posts by this user
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
no, i altered the pathing to represent "assets/template/ch1/css, /js, /images etc....
aha, i think i know what the prob is now, from a reply about the .htaccess file not sitting on the root.

for this particular site, it's not sitting on the root, but it sits inside a "hosts" folder located on the root, i will alter the pathing and see what it does.

08-22-2011, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2011 02:46 PM by mary.)
(08-22-2011 02:35 PM)ironchip Wrote:  no, i altered the pathing to represent "assets/template/ch1/css, /js, /images etc....

Well, you then need to edit your CSS files to reflect the correct path to the images. Right now your CSS file doesn't know where to find the images.

So where you have

Code:
url(images/somefilenamehere)

in your css file, change that to

Code:
url(../images/somefilenamehere)

The reason this is happening is because with url(images/somefilenamehere) the CSS file is expecting to find an images folder on the same level as your css file. But you actually have the images folder one level up, so you need to specify that using ../images/

Try that and let me know if it works

You can read more about relative and absolute paths here: http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginningtutorials/a/aa040502a.htm

08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
well, that screwed things up a bit, changed (assets/template/ch1/css, /js, /images etc) to (hosts/assets/template/ch1/css, /js, /images etc,,,) and now see how it looks

ironchip.com/hosts

put it back like it was (taking out the hosts/) and at least it looks a lil more closer to original than when using the hosts/ in the pathing.

(08-22-2011 02:45 PM)mary Wrote:  
(08-22-2011 02:35 PM)ironchip Wrote:  no, i altered the pathing to represent "assets/template/ch1/css, /js, /images etc....

Well, you then need to edit your CSS files to reflect the correct path to the images. Right now your CSS file doesn't know where to find the images.

So where you have

Code:
url(images/somefilenamehere)

in your css file, change that to

Code:
url(../images/somefilenamehere)

The reason this is happening is because with url(images/somefilenamehere) the CSS file is expecting to find an images folder on the same level as your css file. But you actually have the images folder one level up, so you need to specify that using ../images/

Try that and let me know if it works

You can read more about relative and absolute paths here: http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginningtutorials/a/aa040502a.htm

Ok, I just noticed this post, I will attempt this now. Thanks Mary!
Mary, you are amazing and I am a noob. Calling myself trying to keep things uniform and all in folders, I took the original style.css file that was sitting in the template root, and placed it in a newly created css folder.

i just simply moved the style.css file back to it's original location, and everything has fallen in place.

thank your very much for your patience and understanding.

08-22-2011, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2011 03:46 PM by mary.)
(08-22-2011 02:50 PM)ironchip Wrote:  Mary, you are amazing and I am a noob. Calling myself trying to keep things uniform and all in folders, I took the original style.css file that was sitting in the template root, and placed it in a newly created css folder.

i just simply moved the style.css file back to it's original location, and everything has fallen in place.

thank your very much for your patience and understanding.

You're welcome, we all make these sorts of mistakes, and sometimes it IS the really simple things that can trip you up Smile

If you do want to keep things neatly in folders you can, just make sure you correct the paths in your css file like I pointed out above