Thread Rating:
  • 335 Votes - 2.73 Average
File Manager hierarchy vs Server file hierarchy
08-15-2011, 06:55 AM
File Manager hierarchy vs Server file hierarchy
Hi there!

I´m really confused about the relationship between MODx Manager Filesystem tree and the filesystem tree of the actual live server on which it is hosted.

I now have my first live MODx-site up and being worked on. Currently the site´s broken due to the confusion with this subject.

On the live server it doesn´t seem to be a direct link betwewen the MODx File system and the server file system. However, on localhost using MAMP, there does seem to be a direct link!

Could somebody give me a quick rundown on the subject and relieve me from this headache so matters doesn´t get worse?

Huh

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
RE: File Manager hierarchy vs Server file hierarchy
Hey willy
Since the file structure seems to work on your MAMP install but not on your live server, I assume you created a site on MAMP and it worked but when you migrated it to a live server it stopped working. Is this correct?

mary

08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi mary!

Ooops, forgot to say the most important thing of all: I really, really, really appreciate the tut´s and guidance you provide! It´s just simply excellent...

Now, for the current matter: Yes, on MAMP it all works fine.

I just did a test: I first added an image via Apples Finder to my MAMP-site. It shows up just fine in both Dreamweavers file structure and the MODx File tree. I then uploaded it via Dreamweavers FTP to the live site. There it shows up just fine in both the Dreamweaver-window and the liveservers file-system (cpanel). Bot not in the MODx File-tree! This is driving me mad!

And what is shown on the live website reflects what the MODx Filetree shows.

Exactly the same behaviour is observed when I remove the image and watch where it gets deleted from. On MAMP there´s a direct link between MODX filetree and Dreamweaver/localhost filetree. On the livesite there´s not.

It`s just as if I´m on a different livesite! But it can´t be, as this is my first and only MODx livesite.

Any pointers here mary?
Based on my little test I suppose there´s ment to be a direct link between the MODx Filetree and the actual server file tree.

Undecided

08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
willy
There should be a direct link regardless of whether you're on MAMP or on a live server. I assume you're uploading the image into a folder in your MODx root, because only the folders and files in your MODx root are accessible via the file system within MODx.

The other issue you might be running into is a permissions issue on your live server. Do you have the correct permissions on your live sever for the files you're uploading or the folder you're uploading to.

Can you take a snapshot of your file trees and what you're seeing and post them here?

08-17-2011, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2011 12:57 AM by willy.)
Hah! Found the problem!

It turns out that on the live server there are TWO folders with the name "assets". And I had, of course, picked the wrong one.

Once I knew the file trees should mimick each other I started to think about what was going on a second, and third, and a fourth time.

THX for your willingness to help mary, looking forward to more tut´s!

:-)

08-17-2011, 03:48 AM
Excellent! Glad you were able to sort that out Smile