Thread Rating:
  • 700 Votes - 2.37 Average
Installing MODx Revolution on MAMP
04-06-2011, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 04:36 PM by mary.)
Installing MODx Revolution on MAMP
This thread is open for discussing the video tut on how to install MODx Revolution on MAMP. As I mentioned, you would use pretty much the same steps if installing on Wampserver, XAMPP or any other local stack of Apache, MySQL and PHP.

The one thing I may not have mentioned explicitly is where to place your files. You will find that most stacks have a httpdocs folder, or a www folder. This is traditionally where you would place your files. Read the documentation on your particular stack and see what the recommendation is. MAMP allows you to specify a different folder if you want to, and in my case I have a folder called "Sites" which is what I have set as my preferred location.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
RE: Installing MODx Revolution on MAMP
I use XAMPP ver 1.7.7 for Windows (http://www.apachefriends.org), but I suppose the file structure is similar. The webroot for me is at "c:/xampp/htdocs/" and modx installs in its own directory directly below that.

In the very near future, I will want to test MODx out on three or four separate, unrelated sites.

Where does the tree structure go for additional MODx web sites beyond the first one? Thanks in advance.

01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
RE: Installing MODx Revolution on MAMP
Hey eric
For some reason your account shows as unregistered here on the forums... not sure why?

Anyhow, to create multiple sites on your XAMPP setup, just create new projects or folders inside c:/xampp/htdocs, one for each site. So you'd have:

c:/xampp/htdocs/modxsite1
c:/xampp/htdocs/modxsite2

etc.

When you unzip the MODX download archive the files unzip into their own folder, as you've discovered. You can then just rename that folder to your sitename and proceed from there. If however you were working on a live server and wanted to install your modx site into the root, you would just uninstall the archive and then copy its contents into the root where you want the site to reside. Hope this makes sense.

mary

Find all posts by this user