MODx Video Tutorials Forum
Hello... - Printable Version

+- MODx Video Tutorials Forum (http://modxvideotutorials.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Introductions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello... (/showthread.php?tid=276)

Hello... - wire2 - 03-13-2012 12:20 AM

Hi there, my name is Håkan, from Sweden. I'm trying to learn MODx. I have not been working with CMS before and I'm not a programmer. Hope to get some help from you guys!Shy

And I'm also looking forward to see some more great screencasts from Mary!Smile

Best regards

/H

RE: Hello... - mary - 03-14-2012 07:33 PM

Welcome to the forums Håkan from Sweden. I spent a year in Uppsala some time ago, it's a beautiful country. MODX is a great CMS to start with, and there will definitely be more screencasts. Be sure to also visit http://codingpad.maryspad.com, lots of written MODX tutorials there Smile

RE: Hello... - wire2 - 03-15-2012 06:12 AM

Thank you Mary!
What a coincidence...Uppsala is my old hometown. Did you study there? Nowadays I live in the south o Sweden. Happy to hear that you liked you stay in Uppsala!Smile

/H

RE: Hello... - mary - 03-15-2012 03:04 PM

I was on a research fellowship at the University of Uppsala, and spent my time between the Material Physics lab there and at Vattenfall Utveckling where one of my research bosses was stationed. Got to spend some time in Stockholm and Göteborg, have lots of fond memories of Sweden and would love to go back sometime Smile

(03-15-2012 06:12 AM)wire2 Wrote:  Thank you Mary!
What a coincidence...Uppsala is my old hometown. Did you study there? Nowadays I live in the south o Sweden. Happy to hear that you liked you stay in Uppsala!Smile

/H

RE: Hello... - wire2 - 03-15-2012 11:21 PM

Sounds great! Happy to hear that you liked it. Stockholm and Göteborg is nice. I am now living in Lund, another university city like Uppsala. Material Physics sounds interesting....guess you are an engineer. Summer is the best time for a visit in Sweden. Where are you located now?Smile

(03-15-2012 03:04 PM)mary Wrote:  I was on a research fellowship at the University of Uppsala, and spent my time between the Material Physics lab there and at Vattenfall Utveckling where one of my research bosses was stationed. Got to spend some time in Stockholm and Göteborg, have lots of fond memories of Sweden and would love to go back sometime Smile

/H

RE: Hello... - mary - 03-19-2012 01:11 PM

No, not an engineer. When I did that I was a physicist, but have changed careers since Smile I now work in healthcare and do web dev and computer programming stuff on the side. I am now located in New Zealand. Didn't get a chance to visit Lund, but I definitely plan to return to Sverige some day.

(03-15-2012 11:21 PM)wire2 Wrote:  Sounds great! Happy to hear that you liked it. Stockholm and Göteborg is nice. I am now living in Lund, another university city like Uppsala. Material Physics sounds interesting....guess you are an engineer. Summer is the best time for a visit in Sweden. Where are you located now?Smile

(03-15-2012 03:04 PM)mary Wrote:  I was on a research fellowship at the University of Uppsala, and spent my time between the Material Physics lab there and at Vattenfall Utveckling where one of my research bosses was stationed. Got to spend some time in Stockholm and Göteborg, have lots of fond memories of Sweden and would love to go back sometime Smile

/H

RE: Hello... - wire2 - 03-22-2012 12:29 AM

aha....NZ sounds nice, I heard it is very beautiful, I would like to go there some time.
Mary what CMS do you prefer and what would you recommend for a beginner? ...regarding different technical functions, user interface and user friendly. According to you web site http://codingpad.co.nz/ you are also doing other CMS like Drupal, Wordpress, Silverstripe etc….
What CMS do you prefer of those you know and why?

RE: Hello... - mary - 03-22-2012 06:27 PM

NZ is absolutely gorgeous, definitely worth visiting.

Regarding CMS preference, that's a really difficult question to answer. I don't believe there's such a thing as "the best" CMS, my answer to what CMS do I prefer is always "it depends". Each CMS is different, has different strengths, and some require different levele of knowledge and skill sets. Some CMSs require more raw PHP knowledge than other CMSs. Others require you to return to learn a new templating syntax, etc. Some CMSs are better at different tasks than others. You can read a post I wrote about this a while ago: http://codingpad.maryspad.com/2009/12/05/the-right-cms/

My advice is always learn a few different CMSs, choose one or two to master, but know what else is out there, so you have different tools in your arsenal when the need arises. That's my personal opinion anyway Smile

For a beginner, I would ask what your current skillset is, and what you want to accomplish in the long run, then I can give you an idea where to start. But just an idea Smile

mary

(03-22-2012 12:29 AM)wire2 Wrote:  aha....NZ sounds nice, I heard it is very beautiful, I would like to go there some time.
Mary what CMS do you prefer and what would you recommend for a beginner? ...regarding different technical functions, user interface and user friendly. According to you web site http://codingpad.co.nz/ you are also doing other CMS like Drupal, Wordpress, Silverstripe etc….
What CMS do you prefer of those you know and why?